Friday, December 26, 2008

Beijing Olympics: -Lee Chong Wei bids for Malaysia's first gold medal

Lee, who is badminton's world two, has admitted in the run up to the Games that he is feeling the pressure of taking on the Chinese juggernaut in Beijing but insists he will try to relax once the tournament gets under way.
"I'll try my best to win every match step by step. I haven't wished for a lot as I don't want to give myself too much pressure," he said.
Malaysia has only ever won three Olympic medals, one silver and two bronze, all of them in badminton. But despite being a badminton powerhouse, the Southeast Asian nation has never captured gold.
Lee has hit top form heading into the Games, winning the Malaysian and Singapore Opens this year and downing China's star and world No 1 Lin Dan at the recent Thomas Cup.
But Lee, who was knocked out in the last 16 at Athens four years ago, played down his chances of defeating Lin and China's equally fearsome Bao Chunlai and All England champion Chen Jin.
"I think the Chinese athletes have more advantages because they are playing in China," the second seed said. "But I like the venue, there is no wind and the lighting is comfortable."
In his opening match on Monday, Lee faces Singapore's Ronald Susilo who downed Lin in the first round at the Athens Games.

No comments:

Post a Comment